WordPress vs Gatsby Development
Before getting into deep,, let’s understand what these actually are, and then we will differentiate between two of these:
What is WordPress??
WordPress is a web-based, open-source creation tool written in PHP. But in non-geek speaking, it’s probably the easiest and most powerful blogging and content management system (or CMS) in existence today. According to sources, 30 percent of websites run through WordPress on a daily basis. WordPress is the simplest way by which you can create and manage your website. The best thing about WordPress is the ‘plugins’ that it offers to its users. Using these plugins, you can customize your blogs and make them intuitive and attractive.
According to a study, every one out of four websites on the internet is created by WordPress. WordPress offers you a wide range of functionalities that decreases your workload.
What is Gatsby??
Gatsby is a fun-to-use web application generator for React that makes it easy to set up fast websites. Gatsby provides a modern framework for transforming content into feature-rich, visually appealing apps and websites. The simplest answer to the “What is Gatsby” question is this: Gatsby (aka GatsbyJS) is a static site generator built on the ReactJS.
In its simplest definition, a static website is a group of HTML pages that do not extract any data from a database when a viewer visits it. Thus, every visitor has the same appearance as a static site. Static sites can also be loaded faster, as the server sends the same response to each visitor. You cannot customize content for visitors as it happens on WordPress.
Comparison between WordPress and Gatsby
Now move on to the comparison between two of these:
- Delivery optimization- If I talk about delivery optimization, gatsby has a slight upper hand over WordPress as Gatsby’s delivery optimization provides good static content.
- Payload optimization- in terms of payload optimization, gatsby provides good and efficient progressive image loading, responsive image loading, inlines critical CSS along with font self-hosting. All these mentioned factors over here are way better in gatsby than in WordPress.
- Progressive web app (PWA)- This aspect of gatsby includes offline access over the content, prefetching of linked pages, page caching along with no extraneous code fetching; on WordPress, these features are there but not this much efficient as they are on gatsby.
Developers experience- Now take a look at developers to experience on Gatsby and WordPress-
- Manageability and debuggability- Gatsby provides way better serverless features, hot reloading content along hot reloading code than WordPress. WordPress also includes these things, but they are not as efficient as Gatsby provides.
- Declarative rendering- Gatsby provides a vast experience to its users over componentization, one-way data binding, Declarative data queries along with declarative UI building than to WordPress.
- Modern development process- This factor plays the most crucial role for any website owner, but on Gatsby, the matter of instance is you get Asset pipelines, CSS extensions with Modern Java script of good efficiency, but on WordPress, these features are of low quality and less efficiency.
- Security- As a website developer or as a website owner, you always think twice about your security; on the security aspect, both the platforms are so very secure with XSS protection, Access control, Environmental variables, and user authentication.
- Design- When it comes to design than WordPress is terrible before Gatsby, Gatsby provides you features for designing as Programmatic design, Design system, and component libraries. Still, on WordPress, you won’t get to see the Design system and component libraries.
- Documentation guide- Both the platforms provide a good quality documentation process along with the industrial tutorial, sourcing data, and incorporating CSS frameworks.
- Community- On the communities aspect, both platforms are so very efficient as they both have a variety of features for this particular aspect. They both provide a Pairing program, swag store, code of conduct with a contributing section in the document.
Both of the platforms have their own specialties in their own way. It is acceptable that Gatsby is kind of new in this business, so it is designed with all the good qualities and efficiency. Still, on the other hand, WordPress lacks some instances which can be updated by throwing its newer version on the market. But for now, Gatsby is more efficient than WordPress.